Today is another day to talk about things I've done since I was a kid, but haven't put much out there publicly! I've been playing and making music since I was young, but it's always been instruments and done live. Today I can say different.
Sky Rogue is a fun fast paced rogue-lite flight simulator that oozes with style. I knew the developer for some time and enjoyed playing the game, but was also fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do some writing for it as well! The release of V1.0 is out today too.
I've been writing since as long as I can remember but this was the first time I decided to put myself out there, and try to write for something specific. Kenny was kind (brave?) enough to give me the opportunity to put a shipped title in my (writing) portfolio and I'm pretty happy with the outcome (so far). It was interesting to work on, as there's a bunch of lore that isn't surfaced (yet?) but a lot of it can be found in the aeropedia in game.
I'll probably write more about the process, as I had a lot of fun with it, and it'll be up here in the very near future on this blog, you can follow me on twitter to find out when.
You can view the rad 1.0 trailer below and buy the game from:
For some reason whenever I wrote a quick obj parser, I never bothered to think about the case where the faces in the file had more than 3 points. It was easier in the moment to just triangulate the meshes before loading them in the 3D app. In practice on
I've been working with some c++ lately and had previously been using static hash values for strings (similar to this from the Bitsquid blog) but the one thing that bothered me was the lack of ability to use them in switch statements, where I often want to use them. With constexpr in c++11, I can.
We're reworking our development process to wrap up the game, and are now doing weekly updates instead of the larger milestone based builds. The larger stuff will just be included in increments along with more frequent bug fixes, polish and content week at a time.
I painted the banner based on some of the power ups in the game, below is the final banner we ended up with. The other Sven painted the robot part, and I merged it into this scene and did the rest. I had a lot of fun painting this!
Check the game out, and bring some friends since it's a good game in groups :D
I had a short break from working on this, while waiting for pico-8 0.1.4. In the meantime I had finished blocking in all the details of the narrative and how that all ties together. I planned a lot of levels on paper and graphed out some ideas for overall structure, and I've done a lot of other stuff that would spoil things if I posted about them at the moment.
Here's a less spoilery, vague, outdated graph diagram before I talk a bit about what I've been doing here.